Saturday, 12th of June 2021

Saturday, 12th of June 2021

  • Dolven Funeral Services Offices
  • Dolven Funeral Services Arranging a Funeral Help Page
  • Dolven Funeral Services Funeral Plans Page

Call Our Blurton Office: 01782 599156 | Call Our Biddulph Office: 01782 379191

Dolven Funeral Services Arranging a Funeral Help Page

Arranging the Funeral

Our funeral services for you start with the first contact with you, whether by telephone, email or calling in personally and our services can often extend way beyond the day of the funeral.

On the first contact we will ask for preliminary details, like if the deceased has died at home or in a private nursing home.

We would then ask you for a time and place to suit the family, for the funeral director to call and arrange the funeral that meets the needs and requirements of those concerned.

What to do in the case of a Death

There are certain practical matters that have to be taken care of. We hope the information given here will be informative and useful – please remember this is purely a guide and we will answer any questions that might arise, so do not hesitate to contact us.

Click on the links below to find out more information

How is a death registered

How is a death registered?

The death must be registered by the Registrar of Births and Deaths for the area in which it occurred.

We will advise you on where and when to go.

If the death has been referred to the Coroner, it cannot be registered until the Registrar has received authority from the Coroner to do so.

The death must be registered within five days (unless the Registrar says this period may be extended).

When you go to the Registrar you should take all the following:

  • The Medical Certificate of cause of death
  • The deceased Medical Card, if possible
  • The deceased Birth Certificate, if available

You should tell the Registrar:

  • The date and place of death
  • The deceased’s last (usual) address
  • The deceased’s first names and surname (and maiden name where appropriate)
  • The deceased’s date and place of birth (town and county, and country if born abroad)
  • The deceased’s occupation and the name and occupation of her husband (where applicable)
  • Whether the deceased was getting a pension or allowance from public funds
  • If the deceased was married, the date of birth of the surviving widow or widower.

The Registrar will give you:

  • A Certificate for Burial or Cremation (known as the Green Form) unless the Coroner has given you an Order for Burial (Form 101) or a Certificate for Cremation (Form E). This gives permission for the body to be buried or for an application for cremation to be made. We will require this form as soon as possible.
  • A Certificate of Registration of Death (Form BD8 {rev}). This is for Social Security
    purposes only. Read the information on the back of the certificate. If any of it applies, fill in the certificate and send it to your Social Security office.

The Death Certificate

The Death Certificate

The Death Certificate is a certified copy of the entry in the death register. The Registrar can let you have a Death Certificate if you want one, but you will have to pay a fee.

You will need a Death Certificate for the Will, and for any pension claims, bank accounts, building society accounts, shares, insurance policies, savings bank certificates and premium bonds.

Stillborn Babies

Stillborn Babies

If a baby is stillborn (born dead after the 24th week of pregnancy) you will be given a Medical Certificate of Stillbirth signed by the midwife or doctor, which you should give to the Registrar.

If no doctor or midwife has examined the body, you must sign Form 35 which the Registrar will give you.

Sudden Death and the Coroner

Sudden Death and the Coroner

  • The Coroner is a doctor or a lawyer responsible for investigating deaths in the following situations.
  • The deceased was not attended by a doctor during the last illness or if the doctor who treated the deceased had not seen the deceased either after death or within 14 days before death.
  • The death was violent or unnatural or occurred while the patient was undergoing an operation or was under effect of anaesthetic.
  • The death occurred in prison or in police custody.

The Coroner may arrange for a post-mortem examination of the body. The consent of the relative is not needed for this, but they can choose a doctor to be present. It may be important to know the precise cause of death.

If you want advice or information about a death reported to the Coroner, contact the Coroner’s Officer. We will advise you where he can be contacted.



An inquest is an enquiry into the medical cause and circumstances of a death. It is held in public, sometimes with a jury. It is up to the Coroner how to organise the enquiry in a way to best serve the public interest and the interest of the relatives.

The Coroner will hold an inquest if the death was any of the following: violent or unnatural or caused by an industrial disease or the death occurred in prison or if the cause of death remains uncertain after a post-mortem examination.

It may be important to have a lawyer to represent you if the death was caused by a road accident, or an accident at work, or in circumstances which could lead to a claim for compensation.

Other things may have to be done such as those listed below. It is not a complete list covering everyone’s individual circumstances.

Things to send back

Things to send back

You should return the following, with a note of explanation and the date of death with each of the documents:

  • Order books, payable orders, or giro cheques to the Social Security office or other DSS office which issued the payment. This applies also to a Child Benefit book which includes payment for a child who has died. Orders should not be cashed after the death of a person. It may be useful to keep a record of pension book numbers or other Social Security numbers before you send anything back.
  • The deceased’s passport to the Passport Office. The Passport Office for this area is at India Buildings, Pier Head, Liverpool.
  • The deceased’s driving licence to DVLC, Swansea, SA6 7GL.
  • The registration documents of a car, for the change of ownership to be recorded.
  • Any season tickets. Claim any refund due.
  • Membership cards of clubs and associations. Claim any refund due.
  • Library books and tickets.
  • Any National Insurance papers to the relevant office.
  • Any NHS equipment such as wheelchairs, hearing aids, artificial limbs.

People to tell

People to tell

  • The local Social Services department of the council if the person was getting meals-on-wheels, home help, or day-centre care or had any appliance or piece of equipment issued by the department.
  • Any hospital the person was attending
  • The family doctor to cancel any home nursing
  • The Inland Revenue
  • The Social Security office if any money was being paid directly into a bank or building society account.
  • Any employer and trade union
  • Car insurance company (if you are insured to drive the car under the deceased’s name, you will cease to be legally insured)
  • Gas, Electricity and Telephone companies
  • The local council housing department if the person who has died was living in a council house
  • The Post Office so that they can re-direct the deceased person’s mail

Help with the cost of the funeral

Help with the cost of the funeral

The following information should be treated as general guidance. We are not able to guarantee the availability of a loan, but we do understand how the Department of Social Services makes a final decision.

Who is entitled to help?

You may receive help if there is not enough money to pay for the funeral and you are responsible for making the funeral arrangements and you and your partner are receiving any of the following benefits:-

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Council Tax Benefit
  • Working Families Tax Credit – must include the severe disability element or disability element
  • Child Tax Credit – must be at a higher level than family element
  • Pension Credit

Check what amount of money is available from:-

  • The estate of the person who has died, such as money from the bank and building society accounts.
  • Insurance policies or charities, lump sum payments made by a pension scheme or relatives, (either yours or the person who has died.)
  • Any savings you have in the bank or building society, National Savings (including certificates or premium bonds) or in cash at home.

Savings may be in your name or the name of your partner. The widow payment does not count as savings.

The social fund may make a contribution towards the cost of a simple funeral within the United Kingdom.

This includes:

  • Bringing the body home if the person has died away from home but within the United Kingdom.
  • The Death Certificate.
  • A standard coffin.
  • The Hearse for the coffin and bearers.
  • Flowers from the person who is arranging the funeral.
  • Contribution towards fees of the Funeral Director.
  • Chaplain and organist fee for a simple funeral.
  • Cemetery Fee or Crematorium Fee.
  • Doctors’ Fees.

If you think you may be able to claim, then we will help you with the completion of the appropriate forms and deal with the necessary paperwork on your behalf.

Our Accreditations

Credit Card Accepted

Dolven Funeral Services Social Media

Thursdays funeral was from our Blurton branch, the funeral service was at Temple street Methodist church, the funer…
3 years ago Follow Us - @Dolven FS
Dolven funeral services are proud to help with the 2018 poppy appeal, come in today for your poppies, pin badges, c…
3 years ago Follow Us - @Dolven FS
Todays funeral was from our Biddulph branch and was conducted by Vanessa Dolman. the service was at Bradwell crematorium.
3 years ago Follow Us - @Dolven FS
Todays funeral is from our Biddulph office and is at St Lawrence's Church. The funeral will be conducted by Vanessa Dolman.
3 years ago Follow Us - @Dolven FS
Todays funeral is at St Bartholomew's church followed by interment at Fenton Cemetery
3 years ago Follow Us - @Dolven FS

Registered as a limited company in England and Wales under company number: 7385073

Website Theme FaveTheme - Website Search Engine Optimisation, Website Design & Website Hosting by IT Websites